(14) Proctor, H. S., & Carder, G. (2015). Measuring positive emotions in cows: Do visible eye whites tell us anything?Physiology & Behavior, 147, 1–6
(15) Sandem, A. I., Braastad, B. O., & Bøe, K. E. (2002). Eye white may indicate emotional state on a frustration–contentedness axis in dairy cows. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 79, 1–10.
(16) Sandem, A. I., & Braastad, B. O. (2005). Effects of cow–calf separation on visible eye white and behaviour in dairy cows. A brief report. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 95, 233–239
(17) Proctor, H. S., & Carder, G. (2014). Can ear postures reliably measure the positive emotional state of cows? Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 161, 20-27.
(18) Jensen, M. B. (1999). Effects of confinement on rebounds of locomotor behaviour of calves and heifers, and the spatial preferences of calves. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 62, 43–56
(19) Held, S. D. E., & Spinka, M. (2011). Animal play and animal welfare. Animal Behaviour, 81, 891–899
(20) Jensen, M. B., Duve, L. R., & Weary, D. M. (2015). Pair housing and enhanced milk allowance increase play behavior and improve performance in dairy calves. Journal of Dairy Science, 98, 2568–2575.
(21) Krachun, C., Rushen, J., & de Passillé, A.M. (2010). Play behaviour in dairy calves is reduced by weaning and by a low energy intake. Applied Animal Behavior Science, 122, 71–76.
(22) Holm, L., Jensen, M. B., & Jeppesen, L. L. (2002). Calves’ motivation for access to two different types of social contact measured by operant conditioning. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 79, 175–194.
(23) Sato, S. (1994). Social licking pattern and its relationships to social dominance and live weight gain in weaned calves. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 12, 25–32.
(24) Piller, C. A., Stookey, J. M., & Watts, J. M. (1999). Effects of mirror-image exposure on heart rate and movement of isolated heifers. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 63, 93–102.
(25) Neave H.W., Daros R.R., Costa J.H.C., von Keyserlingk M.A.G., Weary D.M. (2013) Pain and Pessimism: Dairy Calves Exhibit Negative Judgement Bias following Hot-Iron Disbudding. PLoS ONE 8(12): e80556.
(26) Daros, R.R., Cost, J.H.C., von Keyserlingk, M.A.G., Hötzel, M.J., and Weary, D.M. (2014). Separation from the Dam Causes Negative Judgement Bias in Dairy Calves. PLoS ONE 9(5): e98429.
(27) Mintline, E. M., Stewart, M., Rogers, A. R., Cox, N. R., Verkerk, G. A., Stookey, J. M., … & Tucker, C. B. (2013). Play behavior as an indicator of animal welfare: Disbudding in dairy calves. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 144(1-2), 22-30. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0168159112003711
(28) Kovács, L., Kézér, F. L., Tozsér, J., Szenci, O., Póti, P., & Pajor, F. (2015). Heart rate and heart rate variability in dairy cows with different temperament and behavioural reactivity to humans. PLoS One, 10, e0136294.
(29) MacKay, J. R. D., Haskell, M. J., Deag, J. M., & van Reenan, K. (2014). Fear responses to novelty in testing environments are related to day-to-day activity in the home environment in dairy cattle. Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 152, 7-16.
(30) Müller, R., & Schrader, L. (2005). Behavioural consistency during social separation and personality in dairy cows. Behaviour, 1420, 1289–1306.
(31) Arave, C. W., & Albright, J. L. (1981). Cattle behavior. Journal of dairy science, 64, 1318-1329.
(32) Wood, M. T. (1977). Social grooming patterns in two herds of-monozygotic twin dairy cows. Animal Behavior, 25, 635.
(33) Costa, J. H. C., Costa, W. G., Weary, D. M., Machado Filho, L. C. P., & von Keyserlingk, M. A. G. (2016). Dairy heifers benefit from the presence of an experienced companion when learning how to graze. Journal of Dairy Science, 99, 562–568
(34) Flörcke, C., Engle, T. E., Grandin, T., & Deesing, M. J. (2012). Individual differences in calf defence patterns in Red Angus beef cows. Applied animal behaviour science, 139, 203-208.
(35) Solano, J., Orihuela, A., Galina, C. S., & Aguirre, V. (2007). A note on behavioral responses to brief cow-calf separation and reunion in cattle (Bos indicus). Journal of Veterinary Behavior:Clinical Applications and Research, 2, 10–14
Weary, D. M, & Chua, B. (2000). Effects of early separation on the dairy cow and calf. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 69(3):177-188